Senior Site Reliability Engineer (Remote, APAC)
Shopify is a commerce platform with the mission to make commerce better for everyone. We power over one million merchants around the world, and we’re just getting started. At Shopify, we ship on quality instead of time. Our teams deploy new code many times a day, and our production scale is massive. Hundreds of thousands of merchants will see your work within minutes – a tough but incredibly rewarding responsibility.
Shopify has many critical components, and sometimes they fail. Members of our Resiliency Team are the ones ensuring we can get back to green as fast as possible when that happens. This team will be setting the foundation for building and running resilient systems at Shopify. This is a team of engineers with in-depth operational knowledge of the entire Shopify stack, who will act as first responders and leaders during an incident.
Our job is to get to a resolution as quickly as possible and guide teams to build a more resilient Shopify. We will build the tools and systems used to quickly resolve incidents and will look to automate away the manual toil.
Commerce happens 24/7, and we need to build a team that can respond whenever necessary. We are hiring for a distributed team to provide availability in APAC.
This is a remote position available in Singapore, Japan, Australia, and India.
What you'll do:
- Respond to automated alerts and execute playbooks.
- Manage ongoing incidents, using your understanding of Shopify to involve the right teams and resolve as quickly as possible.
- Clean up the noise in our signals, ensuring we can get an understanding of the system and debug a problem easily.
- Set the standards with teams for building resilient, debuggable systems.
- Ensure we never fail for the same reason twice.
- Follow up on each incident to ensure the appropriate action items are in place and prioritized.
- Help teams build tools to automate the toil of on-call duties.
- Based in Japan, Singapore, Australia or India.
- You have experience handling on call shifts for mission-critical systems.
- You have been responsible for the tools and processes used to debug and correct failures in those systems.
- You reject the idea that on call has to be a terrible, disruptive experience.
- You are a generalist developer who is comfortable with multiple languages such as C, Rust, Ruby, and Go.
- You have done hands-on development with cloud infrastructure (AWS, GCE, Azure, Kubernetes, Docker).
Nice to have but not necessary
- You have handled multiple on call shifts, and have navigated more than one incident through to the retrospective process.
- You have experience working with a variety of open-source software including nginx, redis, Memcached and MySQL.
- You have familiarity with network and web protocols, from IP to HTTP.
Shopify is now permanently remote and working towards a future that is digital by default. Learn more about what this can mean for you.
We know that looking for a new role can be both exciting and time-consuming, and we truly appreciate your effort. Jenn is an actual real live person (👋🏻) and is looking forward to learning more about you through your application. And remember, we want to know what you're really interested in building and why you want to build it at Shopify, so please give us as much detail on this as you'd like in the answers on the next page. 👍 📖
Shopify is now permanently remote, and working towards a future that is digital by default. Learn more about what this can mean for you: https://www.shopify.com/careers/work-anywhere
Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity & inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities, and/or people with intersectional identities. Please take a look at our Sustainability Reports to learn more about Shopify’s commitments to our communities, and our planet: https://www.shopify.com/about/environment#SustainabilityReports
At Shopify, we understand that experience comes in many forms. We’re dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team - so if your experience is this close to what we’re looking for, please consider applying.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
The platform commerce is built on